Monday, September 15, 2008

MY EXCURSIONS TO CHANDIGARH Day 3

A Day of Constraints
It took sometime to keep myself from ogling at the pretty damsel with her hair innocuously flowing down in a cascade of soft tendril-curls upon her shoulders. She was dressed in red and black today. It was impossible for me to not stare. Those of you who have ever had a pair of discerning roving eyes will shake their heads in agreement. However, very virtuously (read disheartened) I programmed my mind to entangle itself in class 10 equations. With these hardly taking a few seconds for my ‘engineering mind’, every now and then it engulfed into poetry…’the unruffled beauty of hers…an idyll for my sleep drenched eyes…’
It didn’t take much time for the other blokes of the vicinity to decipher my stares. We shared competitive complacent looks. Common constraints. Sigmund Freud was so right with his, ’What’s on a mans’ mind’.

Inflation down by a few points, the plight of Tibetan refugees and chiranjivi striding into politics…my mind instinctively traversing unrestrainedly all over the country. What is it with the mind and travel anyway? At least it doesn’t pay to travel by this mode. I had no other option anyway. The weekly trips to Chandigarh aint turning my wallets any greener.
The way back was all heated up. My friends were hard leching at the Chandigarh beauties who defied all weather constraints to venture out in the afternoon sun. The sun however seemed to avenge our stares glaring down with all might he could muster, making us all the more sweaty. I empathized with my friends. The driver sidled towards the left as some VVIP cars raced by with cadres of black cat security. “Power comes with constraints”, I ruminated. My eyes returned to “Black Friday” by Hussain Zaidi which lay open on my lap to tell me of the atrocities of that shrewd cabal of terrorists responsible for the Bombay serial blasts in 1992.
Their deeds sickened me to the core and my eyes battled hard to keep their lids open. I let my thoughts wander. My half closed eyes scanned the lush green fields contiguous to the highway. The nokia phone in the backseat sang “tujhe dekha to ye jana sanam”. Green, red and black, me…colour the most essential ingredient of life.
Did some one say constraints?

No comments: