Monday, September 15, 2008

My excursions to Chandigarh-day 1

A Day of Challenges
I can’t remember the last time I had woken up so early on a Saturday morning. The alarm clock mockingly shrieked imploring me to awaken lest I be late for my first class. My intestines weren’t supportive either. I strained myself to let go of all the parathas eaten the night before but my bowels just wouldn’t obey. It was going to be a tough day indeed.
On the way to Chandigarh, it felt good as the bus paced along the smooth roads; like “butter on bread”, the guy sitting next to me lamely exclaimed. I had had no breakfast and the sight of the roadside dhabas only fuelled my hunger. The cool winds blowing down from the mountains and the rising sun cast a balmy effect on me. I relished the window side seat and enjoyed the sceneries of the passing landscapes.
Once into Chandigarh my eyes failed to blink. After the barrenness of Kurukshetra, coming across the greenery of Chandigarh was a gift to our sore eyes. Our eyes furtively scanned the distances to manage glimpses of the impeccably pretty and stylish lady population of Chandigarh.
I counted thirty odd damsels and my hunger was greatly overcome. I also counted ninety sardars. (Horrifying statistics…)
The faculty at the class welcomed us with the same fervour a butcher harbours for his animals. The manager licked her lips avariciously as she pocketed wads and wads of notes we handed over to her as tuition fee. We were given an outline of what was to be taught and what effort was expected of us. I helplessly looked towards heaven for some courage; I was blessed with the vision of a sword hanging over my head.
On the way back I didn’t look out of the window. I closed my eyes to let the gravity of the situation seep in.
Alas! I fell asleep.

1 comment:

Whimsical Reflections said...

The sword of Damocles do you mean?